Hair loss has become a very common problem today. Men and women of young and middle ages are both affected by this problem.
When it comes to specific details of hair loss in men and women, there are differences. From the causes to the nature of the problem, there are several remarkable differences that one can spot.
What causes hair loss in women?
In women, there are several other reasons than men that may cause hair loss.
- Hormonal imbalances: Altered menstrual cycle is one of the indications of hormonal imbalances in women (polycystic ovaries) . Besides this, derranged thyroid profile is other common hormonal cause for hair fall.
- Pregnancy: The hormonal changes that take place during pregnancy might cause hair loss in women.
- Diet: Lack of protein in women can lead to hair loss. Besides this vitamin D, calcium, iron or vitamin B12 deficiency can also causes hair fall.
- Stress: Work pressure, family issues or any other kind of emotional trauma can cause hair loss in women.
- Outdoor Effect: Excessive sun exposure, pollution, dirt and dust have also their respective roles to play when it comes to hair loss in women.
- Genetic causes: It is noted that genes have also a part in hair loss. Women who have family members with baldness may get it .
- Diseases: Infections like typhoid, dengue . etc can precipitate acute hair loss in women.
- Lifestyle: Chemically treated hair or excessive use of hair equipment may damage the hair cuticle and make it more prone to breakage.
- Medication: oral medicines( some antihypertensives, antidepressants etc.) taken for long time may causes hair fall.
Prevention of Hair Loss in Women:
While some factors are really out of your hand (though fixed easily by treatment) you can try following some tips to prevent hair loss.
- Proper diet: Balance your diet properly. Ensure that you have proper intakes of vitamins and proteins in your food. Pregnant women need to pay more attention to their diet .
- Avoid over Use of products and over indulging in hair treatments like smoothening , straightening & colouring. Choose your hair product wisely and use them in moderation .
- Hair protection: Protect your hair from dirt, dust, and pollution.
- Avoid hair oil
- Frequent shampooing
How do I go about it ?
Every patient of hair loss is different. What works well for your friends may not be the right solution for your hair fall concerns, which is why you need to see a dermatologist for your hair fall. A proper history of hair fall taken by an expert hair specialist in Delhi, usually reveals the cause of hair fall, which is the first step to treatment , this is followed by scalp examination for right diagnosis.
- Telogen Effluvium: Sudden plenty of hair loss in last 1-3 months leading to decreased hair density. Patient usually complains of a thinner ponytail.
- Traction alopecia: Hairstyles that constantly pull on the scalp cause this type of hair loss.
- Alopecia areata: This disease can cause coin sized patchy hair loss in otherwise healthy people.
- Patterned female baldness: Hair loss in female starts from the central scalp with widening of central parting .
- Hair loss due to androgenic : Diffuse thinning of hair with decreased density ,but usually over a period of time.
- Scaring alopecia: Patient may complain of itching and burning in scalp.
Depending on your history and scalp examination, Dr. Dadu, the best hair specialist in Delhi, recommends a multipronged approach for her patients, which includes-
- Multivitamins for hair fall with oral medication for targeted therapies like anti androgens.
- Hair growth peptides serums
- Non surgical options like mesotherapy, Hair Growth Promoters (HGP), hair growth stimulation laser, micro needling, scalp threads.
Mesotherapy is a brilliant hair fall treatment in which we impart a combination of various nutrients and medication which will boost hair growth naturally. An amalgamation of essential nutrients, vitamins and other growth factors carefully chosen to suit your particular condition. Dr Dadu recommends hair boosters and other growth factors that are FDA approved and are proven to kindle fast hair growth, nourish and strengthen your hair naturally.
It is a popular treatment method for hair fall which involves drawing patient’s blood same as done for a blood test. The blood drawn from patient is then processed to extract growth factors and essential proteins. This is inserted via an injection into the problem areas of skin to organically support hair growth significantly.
- Surgical procedures like hair transplant if need be.Every patient of hair loss is different. What works well for your friends may not be the right solution for your hair fall concerns, which is why you need to see a dermatologist for your hair fall. A proper history of hair fall taken by an expert hair specialist in Delhi, usually reveals the cause of hair fall, which is the first step to treatment , this is followed by scalp examination for right diagnosis.